Monday, November 10, 2014

AN ODE TO EVERYTHING THAT MADE ME


(CP) When did you fall in love with Hip-Hop? Why did you choose Hip-Hop as your platform?

I fell in love with Hip-Hop in the early 90s. My older brother would play everything from Scarface, Rakim, Nas, Mobb Deep and more. There was something about the sound, the story-telling and grittiness was so compelling as a kid. Choosing Hip-Hop as a platform was comforting, especially as a child. Some artist such as Tupac, even Biggie Smalls helped me escape the trauma I witnessed as a child. Now, I make music and it allows me to express myself in hopes to potentially reach an audience who deals with those same hardships.”


(CP) From your perspective is there a difference in Hip-Hop within the Underground and Mainstream Hip-Hop? If so could you briefly describe the differences?

I personally feel there's a huge difference between underground and commercial Hip-Hop. Underground to me, feels more authentic, raw and true. Some commercial records, are cool and appropriate, others feel more like poison.”


(CP) Could you briefly tell our Clutch Players University the city your from? And, how did that city shaped your mentality and rhymes?

I'm actually from Dover, Delaware. Delaware as a whole is a very small state that often gets over looked. Growing up, I went from living on base, to countless shelters and different traumatic events that shaped who I am as an artist. A lot of my peers have struggled to make it out where I'm from, whether playing sports to getting caught up in the streets. To the heroin epidemic polluting are community, senseless acts of violence or kids committing suicide.”


All that made me who I am today!


(CP) Here at Clutch Players University we value consistency. What do you want to contribute to the culture of Hip-Hop musically and socially?

Musically, I just want to stay consistent and constantly growing as an artist. I would love for my music to bring that same feeling I felt as a kid with the likes of Nas, Tupac, Gangstarr, and more.”

Socially, I would love to change lives through my music. Being an advocate for a lot of sensitive topics that aren't discussed amongst the Hip-Hop community.”


(CP) What can the people expect next from Chris Skillz?

People can expect my debut full length album "Yesterday's Tomorrow" to release worldwide this year. My goal is to help those dealing with depression, suicide, sexual abuse, and self- torment. Because, I myself deal with those issues on a daily basis.”

I wanna be a voice and spread that light.


(CP) Aside, from listening to your music. What artist's does Chris Skillz listen to?

I listen to Kendrick Lamar, Nas, J Cole, Eminem, Jay Z, Kid Cudi, Big Krit, Redman, and so many others. I just love music in general, the art behind it is beautiful.”


(CP) In your opinion which emcee could have a successful run as an athlete? Which, athlete could have a successful run as an emcee?


That's a good one. Honestly, I can't think of any artist who could ball out in sports. I think potentially Kobe could do something in music. But, that's just me being a fan boy. He's the greatest”


(CP) What's the illest line ever said?

"Through the lights cameras and action, glamour glitters and gold / I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe/ When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast / To conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets" - Nas


(CP) In your opinion do you think the Hip-Hop culture is organically evolving? Is there a difference between Rap / Hip-Hop today?

I'd say its evolving but also coming full circle. From fashion, to music and radio. Things are slightly changing but in a positive way. I'm excited about the future of Hip-Hop.”



(CP) Could you provide some words of encouragement for the Clutch Players University, dreamers, or visionaries?




Stay true in whatever you do. Follow your dreams and do what you love no matter what.”


Stay positive!




Social Connections:





Music Connections:




Connect with Clutch Players University:




No comments:

Post a Comment