Monday, November 10, 2014

THE SWORD AND THE MIND



(CP) When did you fall in love with Hip-Hop? Why did you choose Hip-Hop as your platform?

“I think the moment I reached an age of awareness, I was in love with Hip Hop. I started writing rhymes when I was twelve, so I had Hip-Hop before I had knowledge of anything else really.
My mother would play all types of music when I was growing up, so I would hear artists like The Isley Brothers and Jimi Hendrix.
At the same time I would hear Melle Mel and Kool Moe Dee, so the music was always there.
“The culture, the foundation, was always there. I'm not trying to get too deep, because we could build on this for some time, but I will say that Hip-Hop is the perfect platform for an individual such as myself. I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't play any instruments. However, I have a story to tell, I have emotions to express, and Hip-Hop allows me to do this constructively in a civilized manner. Without Hip-Hop I doubt I would be alive today.”

(CP) From your perspective do you see a difference in Hip-Hop within the underground and
mainstream culture? If so could you briefly describe the differences or the similarities?
“ I don't really see a difference, it's two sides of the same coin. It's all one big popularity contest, everyone is running for mayor, there is merchandise to sell, new videos to promote, new persona's, gimmicks, and anything else for a few minutes of attention. It's nothing new, it's all capitalism. However, what I do notice more now than ever, is the decline in innovation.
Too many "artists" whether commercial or underground, are copying whatever is trending at the moment, all in the name of profit.”

“There are very few artists out there that actually contribute to the culture, but the majority are out to exploit it. The artist is now the businessmen, which doesn't have to be a bad thing. However, we must always keep our integrity. We must stay true to ourselves. That's what Hip Hop is all about.”

(CP) Could you briefly tell our Clutch Players the city you come from? And, how did that city shaped your mentality and rhymes?

“Well I'm from Los Angeles originally, stayed in Chicago for a few years and Long Beach for many years. All these places shaped me into who I am today, and I'm thankful for every lesson learned, every friend and foe, every win and every loss. There's something to take from every experience if you pay attention. As, far as the music, everyplace has it's own style, and I've met a lot of dope artists throughout the years. I would have to say Chicago had the most serious effect on me, personally, because that's where I first encountered the Five Percent Nation and gained knowledge of self.”


(CP) Here at Clutch Players University we value consistency. What do you want to contribute to the culture of Hip-Hop musically and socially?
“I can only give what I have, and I can only tell my story from my perspective. I hope what I do, is enough to honor and pay tribute to the culture, and that's enough for me. When people like what I do, I consider that a blessing. When people are effected by what I do, I feel humbled.
I don't do this for popularity, I do this for the love and respect of the craft. Anything positive that derives from that I consider a win.”
(CP) Could you briefly describe to our Clutch Players University readers. Who is JMEGA The God?JMEGA stands for "Justice Master Equality God Allah". I am the Original Man, cream of the earth, master of my environment. And sometimes I make music.”

(CP) What can the people expect next from JMEGA The God? Are you doing any shows?

“I love performing, especially in front of a crowd that knows what real Hip-Hop is. However, I'm at a point right now, where I figure if I'm giving out the music for free, it doesn't make sense to perform for free as well. The music is already free, and I have responsibilities. With me it's family first. So, if I have to drive out to the valley to do a twenty- minute set and not receive payment, it discourages me from performing.”


(CP) Aside, from listening to your music. What artist's does JMEGA The God listen to?
“Well at the moment, I've been listening to a lot of Curtis Mayfield, a lot of Dennis Brown and Roy Ayers. I go through phases. I try to check for the latest in terms of Hip-Hop music, but to be honest I don't listen to too much Hip Hop these days.
I know there's plenty of talented artists out there, but they not really speaking to me. I might be getting old.”

(CP) If you were not pursuing your music. What sport would you see yourself playing?Why?

“Before I started writing, I thought I was going to play basketball as a profession for real. And there was a time, when I might have told you I was good at it. I had a decent jumper, no doubt. But I let it get away from me, started smoking and doing dumb shit, and sports got lost in the background. Sometimes, I wonder if I had stuck with it, if I could have made something out of it.”

(CP) What's the illest line ever said?
“That's funny right there, I don't know. That might be a question more for the people to decide, you dig? But there are a few lines that stand out, that some people actually recite back to me. We have a song called Manifesto, and in the song I say something,
"MighGawd stab your mental with the instrumental / Megallah Mace Windu / fire walker like a Hindu" and people seem to enjoy that line.
Maybe it was the way I said it? I'm not sure. But that's a line that kind of stands out I guess in the catalog.”

(CP) In your opinion do you think the Hip-Hop culture is organically evolving?

 “ Well it's definitely changing. Evolving, I'm not sure, because when I think of evolving and evolution in general, I think of something transforming or transcending to a higher level of existence. I feel like Hip-Hop has become way more corporate, way more consumer friendly. The culture is being lost in the business The ones trying to keep the culture alive aren't on your television or your radio, and I feel like that's definitely on purpose. So, it's changing, but definitely not organically and definitely not evolving.”

(CP) Could you provide some words of encouragement for the Clutch Players University, dreamers, or visionaries?
“Listen, I'm not going to lie to you, this world, this life, can throw numerous obstacles in your way. There will be people that will conspire against you, people that will pretend to love you, and people that will love to hate you. However, when it's time to show and prove, and your number is called, will you bend? Will you sell yourself? Compromise your own value?If you have a dream, fight for it. If you have a vision, live for it. They want you to give up and get in line. They want you to abandon your culture. But, it can all live within you, with every breath, every step.”



Don't let this world take it away from you.




Social Connections:






Music Connections:




Connect with Clutch Players University:









2 comments:

  1. Illest interview ever! Jmega giving away free game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace Ken Thomas. Thank you we appreciate your comment. JMEGA was one of the interviews we enjoyed reviewing. We look forward to hearing more from JMEGA. Yea he did drop some gems.

      Delete