Monday, November 10, 2014

Its got to be SOULOW...


(CP) When did you fall in love with Hip-Hop? Why did you choose Hip-Hop as your platform?

I fell in love when Ludacris dropped “Number One Spot”. I remember sitting in my dads car and hearing that song on the radio all the time, and I just loved how crazy and braggadocios Ludacris sounded. I played it so much I had the entire song memorized and would rap along, mind you I was like seven at the time.”

I ended up choosing Hip-Hop as my platform because I saw the how powerful it was and still is. I was listening only to Kid Cudi when I began rapping, and he essentially made me want to start rapping because his songs made me feel what he was saying and I wanted to make people feel the same way I did when I rap.”

(CP) From your perspective are there any similarities or differences in Underground Music and Mainstream Hip-Hop culture ? If so could you briefly describe the similarities or differences?

I think the two share more differences than similarities. One major difference in my mind is creativity. Most mainstream is relative to the present, the sounds are synonymous to each other, and the only thing that changes is the person delivering the words. A mainstream artist would never dream of putting out an experimental album with 100% creative freedom. 1. Its too risky 2. Its not what the masses want. From a label point of view, keeping the mainstream music all the same is a smart move. If making the same music produces guaranteed profits, then why deviate? On the other hand, underground music has the creative freedom to put exactly what they feel is right. No matter how edgy, alternative, or weird the music may be underground / independent artists have the creative freedom to put out what they feel is their best work.”

(CP) Could you briefly tell our Clutch Players the city you come from? And, how did that city shaped your mentality and music?

I am from Buffalo, New York. The music scene in Buffalo is heavily trap music & drill beat centered. I learned early on that I wasn’t good at that music style, and it didn’t fit my personality. This essentially propelled me into the independent rap scene helping me scope out different types of Hip-Hop and allowing me to really find my own voice and style. I eventually found classic boom-bap beats to be my style and have hit the ground running ever since. I realized that my music doesn’t appeal to the Buffalo area, my mentality has always been focused on global recognition.


(CP) Here at Clutch Players University we value consistency. What do you want to contribute to the culture of Hip-Hop musically and socially?

Musically, I want to be the FIRST SouLow. I want to give Hip-Hop culture that feeling of excitement it has since lost. I want to create dances / gestures that no one has ever seen before. I want to create music that makes the listener feel the emotion I felt while recording. I want to make Hip-Hop music thats 100% accessible to all audiences.”

Socially, I want people to be unable to compare me to any artist they’ve ever heard or seen. At the end of my run, I want people saying “That’s such a SouLow move” or “SouLow started that”.”

(CP) Could you briefly describe to our Clutch Players University readers. Who is SouLow?

SouLow is a nineteen year old Hip-Hop artist who speaks from the soul, but can also go bar for bar with your favorite rapper.”


(CP) What can the people expect next from SouLow?

People can expect a sequel to my mixtape, “Fluid”, and people can expect to be hearing the name “SouLow” a lot more in the near future.”

(CP) Aside, from listening to your music. What artist's does SouLow listen to?

I currently listen to a lot of new school artists. My favorite new school artist is: Ab-Soul (Kendrick Lamar is a close second). My favorite new school rap group is: Flatbush Zombies. As far as classics go, my favorite rapper of all time is Nas. My playlist however is typically East Coast heavy, ranging from; Notorius B.i.g, Fu-Schnickens, and Big Daddy Kane too many of the prominent Beast Coast artists we see / hear about today.

(CP) If you were not pursuing your music. What sport would you see yourself playing?Why?

I was never really serious about sports, I did play football for a while but I never saw myself pursuing it. If I wasn’t pursuing music however, I would most likely be doing comedy because I have a love for writing.”

(CP) What's the illest line ever said?

You a menstrual cycle with flower pedals to a Harley, rap genius would decode it for me." – Ab-Soul

(CP) In your opinion do you think the Hip-Hop culture is organically evolving?

Yes. I think as the Independent Hip-Hop scene grows, the culture grows as a whole.”

(CP) Could you provide some words of encouragement for the Clutch Players University, dreamers, or visionaries?

Thank you for having me, I admire the hustle and you have my utmost respect for what you do. All dreamers and visionaries out there, I say.”



 Keep practicing, its worth it.




Music Connections:

https://www.reverbnation.com/SouLowsmusic

https://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=709667



Connect with Clutch Players University:





No comments:

Post a Comment