Monday, August 18, 2014

MIKE SMOOV216: MOODY'S MOOD FOR BEATS



Clutch Players University felt it was time to search for Clutch Producers. And, we came across a producer Mike Smoov216 hailing from Cleveland, Ohio. During, the interview he walks us through the mind of a music producer.

(CP) The Webster’s dictionary defines sound-scape “As the component sounds of an environment or the component sounds of a piece of music.” What type of musical sound-scape do you try to capture when working with various artists? Are you more drawn to artists that already has a concept or do you prefer a more improvisational approach?

“I try to capture who I think the artist is musically. I've been known to make "moody" music. So, that means I could go from a really dark sounding track to a shiny pop song all in one sitting. Every artist I work with is a challenge for me."

“When I attended Alabama A&M University, I was part of a crew called 'DGAF.' We literally embodied Hip-Hop with rappers, artists, dancers and beat makers. Everything we did was based on improvisational and conceptual ideas. So, I'm very comfortable with both.”


(CP) Could you explain briefly what lead you into Music Production. Was it an album,  a gig, network, or concert?

“Literally, what led me down this path of music production was the love of Hip-Hop since the age of eight. However, I did have an epiphany the first time I heard “T.R.O.Y." by Pete Rock and CL Smooth. That song and album pretty much made up my mind for me. I've been making music since 1992.”

(CP) The music producer sets the direction of the music. How does your production differentiate from current producers? Could you name one of your favorite producers from any musical era?

I think the one thing that seems to separate me from other producers is that most of my music comes from something. Emotional or visual. To some people it's a beat but its more than a beat to me. It's like a scene in a movie.”

Right now I listen to a lot of J Dilla and Madlib for inspiration and ideas.”

(CP) Currently, are you working on any projects? Could you name some artists you have previously worked with?
“I'm working with John J, as far as rappers go. His latest project is a tribute to J Dilla called 'Guardian Of The Sky'. Durand Bernarr, who sings back up for Erykah Badu, we have done two projects together '80's Baby' and 'Sometime In December'. There are a few other random joints floating around the Internet as well.”

(CP) Clutch Players University is all about sports and Hip-Hop. In your opinion which athlete could have a successful career in Hip-Hop? Which, rapper could have a successful career in sports?

I could see Nelly play football or basketball. And, Kevin Garnett could probably be a rapper.”

(CP) What would be your dream album that you would love to orchestrate? Who would be involved in it?
“It would be a Jay Z album for sure. I would definitely get tracks from producers I haven't heard him work with as well as myself.

(CP) How important is it to learn the technical aspect like reading music and practicing your craft?

“I played the clarinet for eight years before I even made my first beat. Everything, I learned came into play once I started to understand the whole process of beat-making and production. I believe knowing your craft separates your music from a lot of these fly by night producers.”


(CP) Clutch Players University would like to thank you for taking time out to speak with us. Could you leave any words of encouragement to our clutch players, visionaries, or dreamers?

If you can believe it; you can achieve it.”

         Stay on the grind and stay focused.

SOCIAL CONNECTIONS:


MUSIC CONNECTIONS:





No comments:

Post a Comment