Thursday, August 14, 2014

THE HEART OF AN MMA FIGHTER


"Every soldier must know, before he goes into battle, how the little battle he is to fight fits into the larger picture, and how the success of his fighting will influence the battle as a whole.” Bernard Law Montgomery



Clutch Players University had the honor to speak to Shaun Paythress a rising MMA fighter.

(CP) Who or what inspired you to get into MMA fighting?

 Well, what inspired me to get into MMA was my career in football. I was frustrated at the time and I needed an outlet. So, I remembered watching one of Rampage Jackson fights and felt I had the skills and mindset to step inside the cage like he did. Then I met a fighter by the name of Terrie Hall who was able and glad to guide me through the beginning stages of my career.”

(CP) Could you briefly tell our Clutch Players Readers. The  difference between MMA and Boxing?

Boxing is just a combat sport where you can only use your hands, while in MMA you can use your hands, feet, knee, and anything on your body to defeat your opponent. MMA is the more popular sport out of the two, however boxers still get paid more than most MMA fighters.”

(CP) During, the emergence of MMA years ago it was a booming industry from endorsements, sponsorships, fights being shown on pay- per -view, and venues being sold out. Is the MMA industry phasing out?

No, it’s only getting bigger. There are more venues, gyms, and promotions popping up around the world. Plus, more and more people are training and taking fights. MMA is a young sport but it’s growing fast.”

(CP) Physically, how taxing is it on the body to go up against someone who may be a different height or weight class than you?

Honestly, nothing is physically taxing on my body as long as I know how to attack my opponent the right way. I can adjust to anybody.”

(CP) What do you want to accomplish within the MMA world?
 
It’s plain and simple, I want to be champ and leave my legacy.”

(CP) With the various fighting styles in MMA, which fighting style would you suggest to an up- and- coming fighter who wants to learn about technique and flexibility? 

I believe the two best fighting styles to start off with in MMA is boxing and wrestling. These two art forms can set and dictate a fight. Also, I believe Jiu-Jitsu is very important to learn as well. Lastly, I would add all other art forms to these styles of fighting to become a complete fighter.”

 (CP) Are there any upcoming fights in the works for this year?

I plan on fighting sometime in December. Currently, I'm in the process of working with various promotion teams right now, so when everything solidifies I will let everyone know.”


(CP) If you had your dream fight who would you fight? Who would you like to see in a match-up?


My dream fight would be against the person who has the belt.”

The match-up I want to see is actually happening this fall, Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier. I've been waiting to see this for a long time. I would also like to see Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao.”


(CP) Here in our Clutch Players University office we are music fanatics. Before a fight or workout could you list some songs or artists that get you in the zone?

I'm pretty much a big Hip-Hop fan. So, before my fights or workouts I'm listening to artists like 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Jeezy, Game, Eminem, T.I., Lil Wayne, Troy Ave, and Kendrick Lamar. All these artists keep me focus[ed] and inspire me to keep grinding.”

(CP) Name one word that describe you? Why?
 “Ambitious, because I'm very driven and goal oriented.”

(CP) Could you leave some encouraging words for those who eat, sleep, and dream about making it into the MMA industry?

Embrace and fall in love with the 'Grind'. Remember, it’s a long road of ups and downs. But, if you stay persistent you will end up on top.” - Shaun Paythress

Media Connections:

Connect with Clutch Players University:



1 comment: