Monday, August 18, 2014

THROUGH THE LENS OF A CRYSTAL STARE



(CP) Could you briefly explain where you from? How has your environment shape the lyrics and image you convey?

I’m from Tuscaloosa, Alabama; A very close-knit city with a huge college smack in the middle; The University of Alabama. I love the south though! Alabama has a lot of heritage & culture that many aren’t even aware of.”

I grew up an only child, in a single parent home for 18 years, shit was crazy for me. I just tried to stay active and make a lot of friends so I wouldn’t have to be at home bored all the time.”

(CP) The music in the south often is type- casted into one specific sound. In your perspective do you feel southern emcees get their just due?

“I feel like the attention is beginning to shift toward the South a lot more. We’re making undeniable music and the demand for our sound is becoming higher and higher. You can’t cut the TV on without catching a reference or even a song related to, or from the South. Same goes for radio & Internet.”

(CP) To people who aren't aware of the southern culture “Grits N' Gravy” is a popular dish. Why do you think that is?

"Grits N’ Gravy, it’s just that southern fixing early Saturday morning at grandma crib. Really, I can’t explain the love for it. But, you have to visit the South and experience it.”

(CP) We want to give our Clutch Players University readers a glimpse of the artist. So, who is Jay Dot Rain?

“ Jay Dot Rain is a very hard working individual. Jay Dot is the true definition of the come- up. I’m still a regular average Joe. I have two jobs and I pray daily that this rap shit pops off so I can quit them. I’ve always been big on chasing dreams and believing in dreams. I’ve remained diligent and it’s been getting me pretty far. Jay Dot is up next. I got a college degree, so it’s time for me to do what I want to do now.”

(CP) Hip-Hop is a young man's sport in terms of competition. Why did you choose Hip-Hop as your platform? How does your music differentiate from the music that's out?

"I love hip hop. Always have…When I was younger, I always would be the center of attention in the family videos. If the attention wasn’t on me, I would find the camera and make it about me. One Christmas, my mom bought me a Walkman with Jay-Z CD “Dynasty: Roc La Familia.” The rest was history. I swear I listened to that CD until I broke the Walkman.”

“My sound? Is Trap Jazz. That’s actually the title of my album. I want to influence my listeners through my words. Telling real shit. Not just things somebody wants to hear. I feel like that’s why a lot of people can relate to my music.”


(CP) What are your views on the state of Hip-Hop today?

My thoughts changed, the deeper I get into the game. At first I was just excited to be making small moves here and there; but now I’m starting to see how shady it can get. It gets ugly. I’m just staying humble and making progress.”

(CP) Could you briefly discuss the latest project your working? Are there any upcoming shows?

“I’ve been working heavily trying to perfect my sound. I just released a project a couple months back I’m still pushing; “Cooley Fly Chronicles II”. It’s produced in full by Alabama’s own Block Beattaz (Stalley –“Swangin”) It’s been getting a lot of eyes in my direction.”

I’ll be performing at A3C Hip Hop Festival in Atlanta, GA in October. Previously, I opened up for Chuck Inglish in Nashville. I’m performing wherever right about now. Birthday Parties, Baby Showers, Bar Mitzvahs, I’m staying HUNGRY!!!”

(CP) Clutch Players University is all about sports and Hip-Hop. We are approaching football season. What college football team would you want to see in the Sugar Bowl this year?


ALABAMA, of course. Roll Tide.”


(CR) Clutch Players University would like to thank you for taking time out with us. May you leave some encouraging words to the dreamers, visionaries, and clutch players?


“Live life, stay prayed-up and do what you want to do.”


"RISK OR REGRET.”



MUSIC CONNECTIONS:



Connect with Clutch Players University:




No comments:

Post a Comment